Saturday 13 November 2010

Manchester has the Department Store-Factor.

Albert Square. 20 thousand people. Screaming Coronation Street fans. Wheeler-dealer tacky super sized glow stick sellers. More fireworks than you care to imagine.

The festive flurry was marked last night in style as 2009 X-Factor winner, Joe Mcelderry, lit up Manchester's town hall.

With a host of Mancunian celebrities (there are some) the throng was treated to performances from the Drifters and Mcelderry, banter form Corries creme de la creme; Chesney (Sam Aston), Antony Cotton (Sean Tully) and formerBoyzone member Keith Duffy (I preferred Shane), dotted with blasts from the past; former Hear'Say member Noel Sullivan and 'Britain's Got Talent' finalistLiam McNally, held together with Key 103's radio presenters.





The fireworks were breath taking. There's something justso dreamy about them. Transfixing, emotive and fierce. It evoked a memory of the turn of the Millenium. Aged 12, the highlights of my evening were dancing to Ricky Martin's 'Livin la Vida Loca' and waiting for the firework display which showcased a sparkle sensation that spelt '2000'. The latter was a total let down but the magic hadn't been tarnished.




A triple celebration for Manchester; as Kendals celebrated 175 years of trading. Officially the oldest department store, worldwide. Major. AND Coronation Street is turning 50 ... words escape me.

I've not seen as many hats with ears since my first winter term at school.




I want one ... I really do, but with so many tacky variations, I'd feel like I were investing in some horrendous Ugg imitators.

Other than that, over the knee boots and capes were the order of the evening. I approved& almost felt a tad last year in my Camel woolen trench. I'll remain clutching my bank card (reluctantly) til 23rd, LANVIN TIME.

Note, applause given when due; ever the environmentally committed Manchester City Council installed energy-saving lights across the city centre. Green is the new harsh yellow?

No comments:

Post a Comment